Dave Campbell’s FROM THE TOUCHLINE Yorkshire Shield Final report

5 May






Ilkley: 38 Scarborough:10

By Dave Campbell 

Scarborough held their own for an hour of an absorbing Shield Final at York but conceded four tries in the fourth quarter of the game as Ilkley stormed to a thrilling six try to one win. 

Ilkley went off like a train and looked as if they would blow the Seasiders away with their powerful running rugby and it was no surprise when they grabbed a 2nd minute lead when No8 Stewart Brewster powered over following a catch and drive. Flyhalf Josh Kimber added the extras for a 7-0 lead, 

The men from Silver Royd weathered the early storm and drove deep into Ilkley territory from the re-start. Under pressure, Ilkley conceded a couple of kickable penalties as Scarborough were driven on by back row Blake Nightingale, industrious scrumhalf Zynec Schutz and centre Craig Farrell. However fullback Tom Harrison failed with both kicks and also miscued a drop-goal attempt. 

Scarborough eventually got their reward in the 20th minute when prop Nino Cutino drove over from a catch and drive wide on the right. Harrison converted to tie the scores at 7-7. The Seasiders continued to press and Domett and centre Benji Cottle were making inroads but not really penetrating a solid defence. Ilkley broke the shackles with half an hour gone and looked dangerous attacking from deep; however they were thwarted on several occasions by Domett, Oxtoby and particularly Nightingale who was in the thick of everything. 

The Dalesmen always looked dangerous and when Scarborough lost possession in midfield, Kimber broke away and swift hands sent fullback Stuart Vincent over in the corner in the 36th minute. Kimber missed the conversion but Ilkley led 12-7. The blistering pace of the game never abated and a superb break through the middle by Farrell on the stroke of half-time looked likely to provide a try for hooker Mark Hopper but referee Andrew Scott pulled play back to halfway for an earlier infringement and Ilkley went to the interval 12-7 at the ahead. 

Harrison kicked a penalty when Ilkley infringed on their own 22 with only two minutes of the second half gone to reduce the arrears at 10-12. The men from Stacks Field struck back almost immediately when prop Tom Baxter was driven over from a catch and drive in the 44th minute. A ding-dong battle ensued with both sides looking to run the ball. Domett, Nightingale and Harrison were making things uncomfortable for Ilkley who were defending on their line for an extended period of time in the third quarter whilst centre Steve Nolson and halfbacks Kimber and Ryan Cooper were always a threat on the break for Ilkley. 

Following a period of pressure, Ilkley infringed in front of their own posts on the hour and Scarborough amazingly turned down the kick which could have seen them reduce the  lead to four points. Having won a penalty in mid-field Ilkley kicked for a five metre attacking lineout; from the catch and drive the ball was moved left and wing John-Henry Johnson strolled over when the Seasiders ran out of numbers. Kimber converted for 24-10 in the 65th minute. Domett was sin-binned for an offence spotted by the touch-judge in the aftermath of the try. 

In the young Kiwi’s absence Ilkley took advantage of their numerical superiority and scrumhalf Ryan Cooper ran in a couple of tries in the 73rd and 78th minutes to produce a somewhat flattering scoreline for the Dalesmen. The Seasiders competed well for most of a terrific game and for periods played some great rugby but a more incisive Ilkley side threatened throughout and were deserved and worthy winners of an exciting final. 

SCARBOROUGH: Harrison Domett Cottle Farrell Jeffrey Stewart Schutz Cutino Hopper Goodman Readman Hoggard Oxtoby Nightingale Else SUBSTITUTES: Fish Taylor Ingham Purdy Ratcliff Rollinson Marshall 

ILKLEY: Vincent Petchey Monks Nolson Johnson Kimber Cooper Cooksey Graham Baxter Burns Small Carolan Davy Brewer SUBSTITUTES: Hutchinson Yale Coates Collard Lovett E.Morgan C.Morgan 

REFEREE: Mr Andrew Scott 

MAN OF THE MATCH: Blake Nightingale (picture ANDY STANDING)


Blake built on recent good performances and turned in a dynamic display on the big occasion. He was immense in defence and was very involved going forward. Good news for the Silver Royd faithful is that the Jersey-born Kiwi has committed himself to Scarborough for the next 12 months. 


To their credit, Scarborough’s 22-man squad left nothing on the paddock after an exciting Shield final and were positively encouraged throughout by a big good-natured travelling support. The forwards held their own and handled the set pieces well whilst the backs played some good rugby but lacked the penetration of their opponents who scored six well-worked tries.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: