2 Oct




Report by Dave Prince – Pictures by Mike Jaconelli

On a wild and windy day at Silver Royd last Saturday Scarborough were hoping to the previous week’s narrow defeat by Bridlington behind them but disappointed their fans by losing in the dying minutes to a well organised Ilkley team who will be in the promotion hunt at the end of the season.  Scarborough had the help of a strong breeze behind them in the first half but never made full use of it as their kicking often fell into the safe hands of the Ilkley back three.  In their earlier games this season Scarborough’s handling had been superb but for the second week running it let them down as passes were dropped at vital times.  A much better second half performance almost gave them the win but for a very late try by the Ilkley forwards.

The first half began with both teams trying their utmost to run the ball and open the game up but Ilkley had the first chance to open the scoring. They declined to kick a penalty in front of the posts, instead going for a catch and drive which came to nothing. For the first fifteen minutes the game ebbed and flowed as both teams looked for an opening try but defences stood firm.  In the 17th minute Scarborough were awarded a penalty but Tom Ratcliffe’s strike just sailed wide of the posts; they continued to attack and a great run by wing Cory Dennis  took play to the Ilkley 20 which ended when the ball was lost.  From this point on Ilkley upped their game and took the lead in the 32nd minute. A good run by centre Craig Barker resulted in a five metre scrum from which scrum half Tom Collard sliced through the Scarborough defence to score wide out.  The conversion was missed.  Ratcliffe reduced the lead shortly afterwards with a well struck penalty.  With the game moving into injury time, Ilkley scored again when full back Stuart Vincent went over in the corner following an incisive move by the visiting threes for a 10-3 lead.


The Seasiders made changes at half time, moving Tom Harrison to fly half, Graeme Jeffrey to full back with Paul White coming in on the right wing.  These changes made an immediate difference to the team which now looked far more incisive and within five minutes opened their try account; following good work in the backs Scarborough centre Ratcliffe burst down the left flank leaving a trail of would be tacklers behind him to score a fine try.  The conversion was missed but within three minutes Scarborough went further ahead when Ratcliffe once more broke through the visitor’s defence to give Paul White a clear run the posts.  The try was converted by Ratcliffe for a 15 – 10 lead.  Scarborough fans were now in full voice as they roared their team on to an expected victory; however Ilkley had other ideas as they came back into the game.  Assisted by some sloppy Scarborough handling the visitors dominated the next ten minutes and following a fine move between their forwards and backs,  Vincent scored in the corner to level the match.


Scarborough almost retook the lead in the 70th minute when Jeffrey broke away on the right flank to beat three men in a run to the line only for referee Mike Ramsden  to disallow what appeared to be a fine try by ruling that he had lost control of the ball in the act of scoring.  Following that disappointment, a show and go from Ratcliffe split the Ilkley defence once more before he was halted; however the attack continued and with 5 minutes remaining Scarborough were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and Ratcliffe nudged them 18-15 ahead with the kick. Going into the final minutes of the match Scarborough’s Tom Harrison was yellow carded and set to the sin bin for a high tackle, Ilkley kicked the penalty to the corner and although the initial catch-and-drive was repelled, from the following scrum the visitor’s pack drove over for the winning try.

Despite this defeat I believe that Scarborough are in a much better place than they were at this time last season. They are fitter and are playing a much more open game.  All senior players are now involved in the training programme and not just the first team.  I am sure Coach Jason Lowde will inspire and lead them to a successful season.

Man of the Match – Tom Ratcliffe

Scarborough: Harrison Jeffrey Ratcliffe Parker Dennis Stewart Rollinson Cutino Williams Raines Watson (capt) Hoggard Purdy Wilson Austen Substitutes: Taylor Tite White

Ilkley: Vincent (capt) Makaafi Johnnson Barker Kirby Cachia Collard Cockerham Robbins Fear Stafford Burns Chapman McKenzie Renton Substitutes: Bland McNally Nolson

Referee: Mr Mike Ramsden (York)     






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: